Meaning of the New Moon in Virgo
The new moon, or dark moon, represents an opportunity to start anew. Virgo is meticulous and asks, nay demands, that we pay attention to the details. While a Virgo in their downfall might get stuck seeking perfection, at their best, they’re able to recognize there’s no such thing as perfection. Virgo teaches us that perfection is an illusion. By paying attention to the details, and not getting lost in the minutia, Virgo shows us that good enough is far better than perfect.
As someone who has spent a lot of time seeking perfection, learning to embrace good enough continues to be an ongoing lesson. In my head, using my “wise mind” as my therapist says, I know perfection doesn’t exist. I know perfection isn’t real. It’s a moving target. No matter how hard I try, how much I shapeshift, or how bad I want it, perfection will never be attainable. Good enough frees me from the limitations of perfection and opens a door of possibilities. When I ground myself in the reality of being a human having a human experience, I know perfection isn’t real or worth it. Good enough allows me to make peace with what is and find joy in what could be.
However, if I always thought rationally, I would be a very different person. I would be a person who didn’t need regular therapy and even more regular compliments. When I’m not aligned with myself, perfection and being superhuman seems really possible. I tell myself, “if I just push a little bit more, I can reach perfection.” Perfection used to be the perfect weight. Then it was the perfect recovery. Then it was the perfect persona. Now it’s an amalgamation of everyone else’s needs; perfect for everyone. I know I cannot be everything to everyone. But, sometimes I think that if I just tried a little harder I could be. Perfection dims my light and robs me of my authenticity.
On September 6, the Virgo new moon offers an opportunity to release the idea of perfection, so that we may plant seeds of good enough. Virgo calls us to look at all the details so that we can see clearly. The moon, especially the new moon which creates a dark sky, calls us to tap into our intuition so that we can move through the unknown with confidence.
The new moon in Virgo is giving us a chance to fully take in the reality of what is in front of us, so that we can allow our intuition to guide us to what is good enough.
Advice from the Tarot
- The Devil- The more you try to control a situation, trying to make it perfect, the worse it will get. Perceived power is just that, perceived. Real power comes from embracing reality and moving with authenticity.
- The Magician- Anything is possible. The Magician doesn’t concern themselves with perfection. Instead, they channel their energy into taking stock of the tools in front of them, and allow their intuition to guide them.
- The Devil represents the shackles of perfection and The Magician represents the freedom of good enough.
Ritual for the Virgo New Moon
Challenge yourself to let go of expectations and be guided by your intuition.
- Do something you’re not great at, and find moments of joy throughout.
- Do something you’re good at but with no structure or pressure. What was different?
- Sit down to a blank piece of paper and see what happens. Where did your intuition guide you?